Allergy sufferers can combat mold and dust mites with a dehumidifier
For allergy sufferers, mold and dust mites are two of the most common irritants. And, according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA), they thrive in humid environments. In fact, these types of fungus and pests, respectively, have a difficult time surviving when the humidity level drops below 45 percent.
“Humidity promotes mold growth and dust mite population growth,” says Dr. Michael Ruff of the American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI). “Both are significant indoor allergens and can set off allergic sensitivity and can trigger rhinitis and asthma.”
With this in mind, it’s important to take the necessary steps to reduce the amount of humidity in your home, especially if you live in Florida, Louisiana, or another area known for its particularly warm, wet climate. One option you have is investing in a dehumidifier, a product that works to remove moisture from the air.
There are certain areas of your home that are particularly conducive to dust mites and mold. The bathroom, for example, where lots of water passes through, can accumulate mold and mildew easily. The same goes for basements, which are often known for being quite damp.
Depending on the size of the room, there are small-capacity and large-capacity dehumidifiers that can get the job done, as well as larger products that are meant to remove moisture from the entire house.
If you’re hoping to take this advice and are looking for ways to maintain a comfortable humidity level, you may want to consider purchasing the Energy Star-rated Continental Electrics KU34643 65 Pint Dehumidifier. This product removes moisture directly from the air, reducing the dampness of the area and preventing mold and dust mites from thriving.